Epiphany's Mantra

i thank You God for most this amazing day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes
-e.e. cummings

3.28.2010

How $1.00 buys Love

I love wafers, oh not just any wafers but chocolate wafers. I really do - to the point of - if it's not a good brand, I chuck the whole lot in the bin, and look for a more satisfactory one. Wasteful you think? Not to worry, rarely there is a brand that does come through, and usually the culprit is 'sugar'. I once went to seven stores looking for chocolate wafers and to my dismay they had all flavors but the one I wanted. I guess it is very popular.

Wafers come in different shapes and sizes like the one shown here, but they are also round and imprinted with intricate patterns or straw-like and commonly nestled in ice cream. I tried to do some research and it seems this treat only goes back to the 50's. I suspect, however,  they may have been around much longer. Will find out and get back.

I sat this weekend with a very large package of chocolate wafers, enjoying every mouthful. Dust and crumbs falling on my clothes like sand blowing in the wind. A thought pops into my head. "You really love wafers!" "You love all things chocolate but you really love wafers. Of course, it hits me then like a ton of bricks (except no pain). I love wafers because they remind me of my Mum.

Although, it was not the best time in our lives, I remember it fondly. We were fairly poor just making ends meet and never any money for frivolous things. But every time we went for a walk, Mummy would always have a dollar for my brother and I to buy something. We always came away with the 2 for $1.00 chocolate wafers buy. One for him and one for me. Our bills were paid, we had a roof, we were clean and well fed. But that dollar would miraculously come from no where and the smiles were ear to ear. Of course  we would cherish the package carefully deciding how many to eat so it would last as long as possible. The other trick was keeping it fresh.

I think most folks would decide to never put another chocolate wafer near their lips, but I consider every experience whether good or bad at the time has some meaning for our lives. We were grateful for the treat, knowing that the trend would probably not last that long and that one day we would buy all the wafers we wanted. Maybe we would be able to buy anything we wanted. I am still not outrageously rich, but spiritually I have come to respect the power of money. My kids don't want for anything, but it may caused them not to understand the value of a dollar. Hopefully, I can teach them to understand the gifts we receive on a daily basis create more riches and abundance than any amount of cash ever could.

Be happy in your heart and all else will follow.

No comments: